ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV)(PA1) Hazeltine Ave.

Case No.:  ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV)(PA1)

Address:  5128 Hazeltine Ave. [Van Nuys-North Sherman Oaks Community Plan]

Upcoming Event:  The Department of City Planning conducted  the public hearing on October 1, 2018 and approved the requests.   The Zoning Administrator’s Letter of Determination (LOD – December 14, 2018) was appealed by an adjoining property owner.  The appeal public hearing is set for February 28th, 2019.

The applicant continues to seek your comments,  which would help in the current and future operation.  Please leave a comment or your concern by selecting “LEAVE A COMMENT” at the top of the page.  Comments and questions are responded to within 48 hours.

Select  GREEN highlights  to view documents,  reports, and exhibits

Existing Use:   Childcare facility serving up to 24 children,  operating between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm. Monday to Friday. approved pursuant to Case No. ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV).

Proposal:   No new construction is proposed.  The proposal is to continue operation of the childcare after the Planning Department verifies compliance with the conditions of Case No. ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV) and request several modifications to the prior conditions of approval.

Request:  Approval of Plans Review pursuant to Condition No. 8 of Case No. ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV) and request to modify the Grant Clause and Condition Nos. 7.b,  12.b, 16.e, 18.c.2, and delete Condition No. 8.   Refer to Justifications for Requests (September 7, 2017)

Drone Land Use Flyover (Select to view Video):  See the subject site and surrounding land uses as seen by a drone.
Applicant’s Statement (Select to view Video):   Hear the applicant discuss her proposal.
Planning 101:
Communications and Outreach
  • Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Council (SONC) consideration  by Planning and Land Use Committee Meeting scheduled November 16, 2017   (See below. NO LETTER WAS  RECEIVED  FROM NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL )
  • Two Letters of Support Submitted November 2017: View Letters
  • Eight Letters  of Support Submitted January 2018:  View Letters
  • Two Letters of Support Submitted September 2018: View Letters
InfoPost  Documents Available for Viewing and Download
Planning Department Case Summary Database:  (Access Summary)

COMMENTS

Deepa Kulkarni I live within walking distance and have driven by the property in question hundreds of times without even realizing there was a school there. I have never experienced any traffic congestion or noise in the area that can be attributed to the school.

The school was brought to my attention by a friend who raved about the wonderful experience she had with her daughter. As such, I enrolled my son and couldn’t be happier. He is learning so much both academically and socially. It is an irreplaceable part of the Sherman Oaks community. It is a disservice to limit the number of children allowed to play outside at once, as all of them are friends. Learning to play together helps their social development.

I hope to enroll my younger son in the school when he is older, and an increase in class size from 24 to 28 will make that feasible.

Jamie We absolutely support the addition of 4 more students to exploring mind’s hazeltine campus. Both as a resident and a parent at the school. Thank you.
Wendy Emslie We strongly support the increase of 4 children at Exploring Minds Montessori 5128 Hazeltine. Exploring Minds Montessori (hereinafter EMM) has earned a reputation in the parenting world as one of the top preschools in Southern California. I learned about EMM from a highly regarded child developmental expert teaching a local parenting class. I toured over a dozen preschools and knew EMM was the perfect school for us the moment I visited. There was soft lighting, music gently playing in the background and the children were quietly working on their own “jobs” as caring teachers guided each, as needed. The children were learning and problem solving without even knowing it. It was simply magical. EMM balances warmth and education while instilling a love of learning like no other preschool I have seen.

My twin boys are currently joyfully attending EMM. My daughter is slated to be pupil #25 at the Hazeltine location. My daughter cries when I take her to attend a different school. She tells me that her, “brain is sad.” She wants to be at EMM too. It is only with the approval of the increase in number of children at the EMM Hazeltine location that my daughter may attend EMM. It is our family’s hope that the zoning commission will allow additional children to join so that our daughter may be a part of the incredible EMM school and community. The increase in 4 children will make a tremendous difference in my daughter’s life.

Kimberly and Thomas Murtaugh I’m writing to enthusiastically support the proposal of Exploring Minds Montessori (EMM). We live just a few blocks away from the school and have absolutely loved having our children attend such a fantastic school so close to home. Our older son, who is 5, attended EMM for two years and now attends Kester Avenue Elementary and is thriving. I credit his enthusiasm for school and learning to this incredible school with its dedicated teachers and families. We have a younger daughter who is 3 and is now enrolled at EMM. Before she started attending school, her language skills were slightly behind for her age and her pediatrician had suggested considering speech therapy. We wanted to enroll her in school right away but we had to wait until her brother (and others) graduated for a spot to be available for her. Within just a few weeks at EMM, she had a language explosion and now she could be considered a chatterbox! Increasing the number of enrollment spots by 4 would have allowed her to attend school earlier and address this developmental milestone. We absolutely love this school and believe it is an asset to the neighborhood!

4 thoughts on “ZA 2013-2186(CU)(ZV)(PA1) Hazeltine Ave.”

1. We absolutely support the addition of 4 more students to exploring mind’s hazeltine campus. Both as a resident and a parent at the school. Thank you.

2. We strongly support the increase of 4 children at Exploring Minds Montessori 5128 Hazeltine. Exploring Minds Montessori (hereinafter EMM) has earned a reputation in the parenting world as one of the top preschools in Southern California. I learned about EMM from a highly regarded child developmental expert teaching a local parenting class. I toured over a dozen preschools and knew EMM was the perfect school for us the moment I visited. There was soft lighting, music gently playing in the background and the children were quietly working on their own “jobs” as caring teachers guided each, as needed. The children were learning and problem solving without even knowing it. It was simply magical. EMM balances warmth and education while instilling a love of learning like no other preschool I have seen.

3. I’m writing to enthusiastically support the proposal of Exploring Minds Montessori (EMM). We live just a few blocks away from the school and have absolutely loved having our children attend such a fantastic school so close to home. Our older son, who is 5, attended EMM for two years and now attends Kester Avenue Elementary and is thriving. I credit his enthusiasm for school and learning to this incredible school with its dedicated teachers and families. We have a younger daughter who is 3 and is now enrolled at EMM. Before she started attending school, her language skills were slightly behind for her age and her pediatrician had suggested considering speech therapy. We wanted to enroll her in school right away but we had to wait until her brother (and others) graduated for a spot to be available for her. Within just a few weeks at EMM, she had a language explosion and now she could be considered a chatterbox! Increasing the number of enrollment spots by 4 would have allowed her to attend school earlier and address this developmental milestone. We absolutely love this school and believe it is an asset to the neighborhood!

4. I live within walking distance and have driven by the property in question hundreds of times without even realizing there was a school there. I have never experienced any traffic congestion or noise in the area that can be attributed to the school.